Sunday, October 20, 2013

Restoran Wahab's, The So So Cendol In Town

I didn't want to go home right after the engagement, so I had to come up with a plan to hold everyone a little longer. Even before getting into the car, my brain was working overtime to come with an idea so that my Sunday would not end at 2pm. It was at last exit out to LA's neighbourhood I blurted out "Cendol".

The boys said OK.

We stayed long enough till Deen decided to leave LA's residence and we all headed down to Sri Rampai.



We parked across the street and this was my first time to Wahab's Cendol. They mainly serve Cendol, but they also serve:
-Mee Rebus (13 varieties)
-Nasi Lemak (10 varieties)
-Nasi Ayam (3 varieties)
-Laksa
-Nasi Goreng
-Mee Hoon
-and the usual fried dishes ala Mamak.

The restaurant was clean but there was abit of a problem, they only had tables for 4. There was alot of tension at the table.


Based on the experience from the guys who had been here, they suggested that we try the Cendol Nangka. Its basically the plain ol Cendol with the addition of Jackfruit. With 28 types of Cendols and 19 sub species of ABC, it took us about 15 minutes to decide what to have for that hot afternoon.

Marwan picked Cendol Biasa.
Meor tried the Cendol + Kacang Merah + Jagung + Ice Cream
Amir had once tried Cendol Nangka and wants to go for another round.
Deen wanted Cendol Nangka as well.
Minnesota went for the Cendol + Kacang Merah + Jagung + Pulut.
Since there was no description next to Wahab's Special, I thought, hey surprise me old man.

It took them quite some time to send our orders over.

Marwan's. The classic Cendol 

Meor's. The ones with ice cream are not common at road side stalls.

Minnesota's. The classic road side special.

Deen's and Amir's. The Cendol Nangka.

Mine took forever to arrive. Then as I put out my cigarette, the order taker walks carefully to our table with this in his hands.
The Poseidon of all Cendol. The Crown Jewel. Le Trophy. The Showpeice Trophy. 

But then immediately I realised, this is kinda too much for a Cendol. It has too much of everything and too much of anything is not good. While the boys looked at me with envy, I struggled with every spoon. Much that I hated the feeling, with the thought of the price tag that was gonna come later, I pushed myself as far as I can.


Too much of anything is never good. But really, what really inspired ol Pak Wahab to mix in bananas, tapai, pulut, barleys. ice cream, santan, condensed milk, syrup and ice, all in one bowl. A Cendol Pisang would be nice. A Cendoi Tapai would be awesome. Cendol Ice Cream would be great for the kids.

But everyfucking thing on the ingredient list? And call it the Special Item? That is so original.

And what is it with Malaysian food sold at stalls naming their special dish "special" when they only cook it with egg (for burgers) and put everything in it, like the Cendol that I had. Pfft.


Restaurant Wahab's, The Best Cendol in Town
Address:
43, Jalan Rampai Niaga 5 (Sri Rampai Business Park),
Setapak, Kuala Lumpur 53300

Cendol Rating: Over Rated
Price: Fair. About RM4-5. After we left, we realised that mine was not charged
Service: Slow. We ordered drinks, was not served
Extra: Cokes are not the a favourite here

1 comment:

  1. Another LOL! article you got there..yes I think the only worth a try at Wahab's were their nangka cendol and mee rebus..else? pfttt

    ReplyDelete